Summer is officially here and if you have braces and planning a trip or vacation, the team at Dr. Mizell’s Houston orthodontics office would like to make sure that you are fully prepared to care of them. The following is a list of the different items that will be handy to have along with you whenever you are going to be out of town for a while. These suggested items include:
- Floss pick, toothpick, or some other sort of interdental cleaning tool
- A small travel toothbrush
- A small bottle of mouth rinse, or a water bottle
- Orthodontic wax to use for any discomfort that may come from protruding wires in your mouth
- A small mirror that can be used for examining any of the possible problems that could arise in your mouth
When you have all of these items together, they make for a nice oral hygiene kit for your braces. Depending on where you shop, you may even be able to find a kit for braces that are pre-made.
Once you are on vacation, if you start to have any problems when trying to reach our office, we suggest that you go online to search for one of the closest orthodontic practices in the area. Many orthodontists will be happy to lend a helping hand whenever there is a patient in need.
It is also suggested that avoid some foods that could lead to broken brackets or a distortion in the wires while you are away. Foods to avoid include:
- Foods that are sticky, chewy or gummy in any way
- Corn on the cob
- Pears, apples and other whole fruits (You must cut them into wedges before you eat them)
- Hard rolls and bagels
- Hard pretzels or cookies
- Hard candies or gum
- Any variety of nuts, including cashews, peanuts, and almonds
Please make sure that you are brushing your teeth after each meal and that you are using special orthodontic floss, or a floss threader, at least once per day to get in between the braces and under the wires. Be sure to check your teeth in the mirror to ensure all the food particles have been removed. Once you finish brushing, you can rinse vigorously with your mouthwash or with water.
If you have an Invisalign aligner and happen to lose the tray, you can wear the tray you had in before or the next one until you can get back to the office. Have a fun vacation, but take care of your teeth and braces at the same time.